users Digest 10 Mar 2013 16:24:25 -0000 Issue 11288

users-digest-help

users Digest 10 Mar 2013 16:24:25 -0000 Issue 11288

Topics (messages 240240 through 240256)

standalone artifact contains multiple META-INF/manifest.mf files
 240240 by: Timothy Astle

Re: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28
 240241 by: Christopher Schultz

tomcat7 cluster not communicating
 240242 by: Zippy Zeppoli
 240243 by: Christopher Schultz
 240245 by: Zippy Zeppoli
 240246 by: Vince Stewart

errors occurred in catalina.out
 240244 by: Dhaval Jaiswal

Re: tomcat7 cluster not communicating [SOLVED]
 240247 by: Zippy Zeppoli

Teste de Ausencia
 240248 by: atendimento.casasbahia.com.br
 240250 by: atendimento.casasbahia.com.br

java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter vs org.apache.juli.OneLineFormatter
 240249 by: Jesse Farinacci
 240251 by: Mark Thomas
 240252 by: Konstantin Kolinko

Compiling JSPs at runtime
 240253 by: Gerd Zimmer
 240255 by: Martin Gainty
 240256 by: Christopher Schultz

Tomcat7 EL(proprietary evaluate) error
 240254 by: Praveen Boppana

Administrivia:

Hi all,

I just seen something that I'm a bit unsure of. I used the Tomcat Maven
Plugin to generate an executable JAR file and I noticed that the
META-INF directory contained multiple manifest.mf files. Two of which
contain Main-Class attributes.

I know that the zip archive standard allows for mulitple files with the
same name / same location to be added to an archive, but I get the
feeling that this may not be the desired behaviour.

I compared the JAR file built by the Maven Tomcat Plugin to the first
WAR built by the WAR plugin, and the multiple manifest introductions are
being done by the Maven Tomcat Plugin's additional artifact generation.

Any thoughts on this?

Tim

So, I have a tomcat7 cluster on AWS with a cluster configuration that
works on my local VirtualBox cluster.

Specs:
- Same config.
- Firewall turned off on all hosts.
- unicast instead of multicast

the following commands time out:
nc -zv member1 8080
nc -zv member1 4110

They are listening however:
tcp     0    0 0.0.0.0:4110           0.0.0.0:*
  LISTEN
tcp     0    0 0.0.0.0:8080           0.0.0.0:*
  LISTEN

tcpdump shows over and over SYN's but no replies on all members:
18:57:23.762712 IP member1: 52548 > 192.168.10.10.g2tag: Flags [S],
seq 215397535, win 14600, options [mss 1460,sackOK,TS val 159216257
ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0

Connecting to any other port from one member to another works fine,
for example ssh.

So I can't figure out why network communication works between all
hosts, tomcat is listening, but trying to connect to the listening
port fails.

I don't think it has anything to do with EC2, but I could be wrong.
Like I said before other ports connect fine, and everything is in the
same subnet.
There's no way for a firewall to interfere as iptables is disabled.

It's a VPC with private (different IPs, you can't have duplicate IP's in EC2).

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Christopher Schultz
<chris@(protected):

if this is a newly installed system with linux in each virtual machine,
make sure you have registered the IP address (192.168.x.x) in \etc\hosts
files.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Zippy Zeppoli <zippyzeppoli@(protected):

> So, I have a tomcat7 cluster on AWS with a cluster configuration that
> works on my local VirtualBox cluster.
>
> Specs:
> - Same config.
> - Firewall turned off on all hosts.
> - unicast instead of multicast
>
> the following commands time out:
> nc -zv member1 8080
> nc -zv member1 4110
>
> They are listening however:
> tcp     0    0 0.0.0.0:4110           0.0.0.0:*
>    LISTEN
> tcp     0    0 0.0.0.0:8080           0.0.0.0:*
>    LISTEN
>
> tcpdump shows over and over SYN's but no replies on all members:
> 18:57:23.762712 IP member1: 52548 > 192.168.10.10.g2tag: Flags [S],
> seq 215397535, win 14600, options [mss 1460,sackOK,TS val 159216257
> ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
>

> Connecting to any other port from one member to another works fine,
> for example ssh.
>
> So I can't figure out why network communication works between all
> hosts, tomcat is listening, but trying to connect to the listening
> port fails.

Vince Stewart

Set up the cluster of the session replication and it was working fine.
However showing following error in the catalina.out. Sometime occurring
weird behavior.

Tomcat version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.16

(1)
WARNING: IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel.
Probable cause: Keep alive socket closed[Connection reset by peer].

>> For above warning i have checked forum and as suggested we do have
keepAliveCount.

(2)

Mar 8, 2013 4:49:34 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TcpFailureDetector
memberDisappeared
INFO: Received
memberDisappeared[org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.MemberImpl[tcp://{-64,
-88, 3, 12}:4000,{-64, -88, 3, 12},4000, alive=45882882,id={-70 -12 103 -20
66 -83 68 53 -74 -59 -107 0 -18 -70 33 65 }, payload={}, command={},
domain={}, ]] message. Will verify.
Mar 8, 2013 4:49:34 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TcpFailureDetector
memberDisappeared
INFO: Verification complete. Member still
alive[org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.MemberImpl[tcp://{-64, -88, 3,
12}:4000,{-64, -88, 3, 12},4000, alive=45882882,id={-70 -12 103 -20 66 -83
68 53 -74 -59 -107 0 -18 -70 33 65 }, payload={}, command={}, domain={}, ]]
Mar 8, 2013 4:49:34 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.tipis.AbstractReplicatedMap get
Operation has timed out(60000 ms.).

(3)
SEVERE: Unable to replicate out data for a LazyReplicatedMap.get operation
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
org.apache.catalina.tribes.tipis.AbstractReplicatedMap.get (AbstractReplicatedMap.java:850)
    at
org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.findSession (ManagerBase.java:862)
    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.doGetSession (Request.java:2283)
    at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.getSessionInternal (Request.java:2220)
    at
org.apache.catalina.ha.session.JvmRouteBinderValve.handlePossibleTurnover (JvmRouteBinderValve.java:22

(4)
SEVERE: An exception or error occurred in the container during the request
processing

(5)
Mar 8, 2013 11:26:32 PM org.apache.catalina.ha.session.DeltaSession
writeObject
SEVERE: Cannot serialize session attribute CURRENT_USER for session
61CA81CF075D08855B143814C53BF136.t7
java.io.NotSerializableException:

Please let us know your views on it.

It was AWS security groups.
Bit me.

AWS VLAN != Regular VLAN

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Vince Stewart <stewart.vince@(protected):
> if this is a newly installed system with linux in each virtual machine,
> make sure you have registered the IP address (192.168.x.x) in \etc\hosts
> files.
>

> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Zippy Zeppoli <zippyzeppoli@(protected):
>
>> So, I have a tomcat7 cluster on AWS with a cluster configuration that
>> works on my local VirtualBox cluster.
>>
>> Specs:
>> - Same config.
>> - Firewall turned off on all hosts.
>> - unicast instead of multicast
>>
>> the following commands time out:
>> nc -zv member1 8080
>> nc -zv member1 4110
>>
>> They are listening however:
>> tcp     0    0 0.0.0.0:4110           0.0.0.0:*
>>    LISTEN
>> tcp     0    0 0.0.0.0:8080           0.0.0.0:*
>>    LISTEN
>>
>> tcpdump shows over and over SYN's but no replies on all members:
>> 18:57:23.762712 IP member1: 52548 > 192.168.10.10.g2tag: Flags [S],
>> seq 215397535, win 14600, options [mss 1460,sackOK,TS val 159216257
>> ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
>>

>> Connecting to any other port from one member to another works fine,
>> for example ssh.
>>
>> So I can't figure out why network communication works between all
>> hosts, tomcat is listening, but trying to connect to the listening
>> port fails.

> --
> Vince Stewart

Estarei ausente do escritório a partir de Qui, 11/08/2011 e não retornarei
antes de Ter, 13/08/2030.

Este e-mail sera desativado.

Estarei ausente do escritório a partir de Qui, 11/08/2011 e não retornarei
antes de Ter, 13/08/2030.

Este e-mail sera desativado.

Greetings,

I am using Java 7, IBM JRE and Apache Tomcat 7.0.37. I am seeing a
strange difference between java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter vs
org.apache.juli.OneLineFormatter: namely, for my applications, the
SimpleFormatter will produce log records with the Class name included
but OneLineFormatter will not. The exact same application, with only
changes to the .formatter are enough to show this change.

I think this is a bug; If I use javap on my unpacked class files, I
see that they do in fact have all the debug details. Why does
OneLineFormatter show me null.null when SimpleFormatter will show the
class name? This is very frustrating, and has been going on for quite
a while..

Thank you,
-Jesse

On 09/03/2013 01:38, Jesse Farinacci wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am using Java 7, IBM JRE and Apache Tomcat 7.0.37. I am seeing a
> strange difference between java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter vs
> org.apache.juli.OneLineFormatter: namely, for my applications, the
> SimpleFormatter will produce log records with the Class name included
> but OneLineFormatter will not. The exact same application, with only
> changes to the .formatter are enough to show this change.
>
> I think this is a bug; If I use javap on my unpacked class files, I
> see that they do in fact have all the debug details. Why does
> OneLineFormatter show me null.null when SimpleFormatter will show the
> class name? This is very frustrating, and has been going on for quite
> a while..

Strange. I don't see this with 7.0.x trunk and the Oracle JVM.

Looking at the source code for the two formatters the code to display
the class and method name looks identical.

In your shoes I'd be using my IDE to debug through the low writing
process step by step to figure out what is going wrong.

Mark

2013/3/9 Jesse Farinacci <jieryn@(protected)>:
> Greetings,
>
> I am using Java 7, IBM JRE and Apache Tomcat 7.0.37. I am seeing a
> strange difference between java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter vs
> org.apache.juli.OneLineFormatter: namely, for my applications, the
> SimpleFormatter will produce log records with the Class name included
> but OneLineFormatter will not. The exact same application, with only
> changes to the .formatter are enough to show this change.
>
> I think this is a bug; If I use javap on my unpacked class files, I
> see that they do in fact have all the debug details. Why does
> OneLineFormatter show me null.null when SimpleFormatter will show the
> class name? This is very frustrating, and has been going on for quite
> a while..

File and method names are provided by JRE. Formatter only uses what is
provided to it.

    // Source
    sb.append(' ');
    sb.append(record.getSourceClassName());
    sb.append('.');
    sb.append(record.getSourceMethodName());

IIRC from reading Oracle JDK 6 sources a while ago, it throws an
exception and takes Nth record from its stacktrace.

It is a costy operation, and if the call depth is wrong (N is wrong)
or if there is no stacktrace (due to optimizations by JIT compiler)
you will not get the names.  IIRC, in some server JVMs if you throw
the same exception X times it no longer prints its stacktrace. Maybe
that is it.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Hello!

I'm working on a WCMS system where I want to compile some view components
at runtime. I found the Jasper howto to compile using Ant, but that's not
what I need.

I have dynamic JSP code stored in a database.

Simplified I want to do something like this:

protected void doRequest(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response) throws ServletException, IOException {

int templateId = request.getParameter("templateId");
String jspCode = db.queryString("select jspCode from templates where id ="
+ templateId);
Jasper jcpc = new Jasper();
Servlet jspServlet = jspc.compile(jspCode)
forward(jspServlet);

}

For sure this is very simplified. I know that the Jasper JSPC will need
much more configuration/environment set.

Can someone point me to the right classes to start?

Thanks,
Gerd

Zimmer http://www.jarfinder.com/index.php/jars/versionInfo/4589
Viel Gluck
Martin
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung

> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 14:39:23 +0100
> Subject: Compiling JSPs at runtime
> From: fb666fb666@(protected)
> To: users@(protected)
>
> Hello!
>
> I'm working on a WCMS system where I want to compile some view components
> at runtime. I found the Jasper howto to compile using Ant, but that's not
> what I need.
>
> I have dynamic JSP code stored in a database.
>
> Simplified I want to do something like this:
>
> protected void doRequest(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
> response) throws ServletException, IOException {
>
> int templateId = request.getParameter("templateId");
> String jspCode = db.queryString("select jspCode from templates where id ="
> + templateId);
> Jasper jcpc = new Jasper();
> Servlet jspServlet = jspc.compile(jspCode)
> forward(jspServlet);
>
> }
>
> For sure this is very simplified. I know that the Jasper JSPC will need
> much more configuration/environment set.
>
> Can someone point me to the right classes to start?
>
> Thanks,
> Gerd

Gerd,

On 3/9/13 8:39 AM, Gerd Zimmer wrote:
> I'm working on a WCMS system where I want to compile some view
> components at runtime. I found the Jasper howto to compile using
> Ant, but that's not what I need.
>
> I have dynamic JSP code stored in a database.
>
> Simplified I want to do something like this:
>
> protected void doRequest(HttpServletRequest request,
> HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException
> {
>
> int templateId = request.getParameter("templateId"); String jspCode
> = db.queryString("select jspCode from templates where id =" +
> templateId); Jasper jcpc = new Jasper(); Servlet jspServlet =
> jspc.compile(jspCode) forward(jspServlet);
>
> }
>
> For sure this is very simplified. I know that the Jasper JSPC will
> need much more configuration/environment set.
>
> Can someone point me to the right classes to start?

Actually, I wonder if it might make more sense to write a a DirContext
that understands your database layout and so it can ignore requests to
things that aren't your db, provide caching (if appropriate), etc.

That way, you could have Tomcat handle the URL -> db-template mapping
for you. You might have to change the format of your URLs (from
/dynamic-jsp?templateId=foo to /dynamic-jsp/foo or something like
that) but it would simplify your code a lot.

I know that the whole resource-loading subsystem of Tomcat has been
recently changed drastically, so I'm not sure if there is a solution
that will work across Tomcat 6, Tomcat 7, and (eventually) Tomcat 8,
but the concept should be the same.

Invoking Jasper yourself isn't terribly easy, and once you compile,
you have to convince the JSP ClassLoader to load your new class...
that stuff isn't supposed to be controlled from the outside: it's all
supposed to be controlled by the JSP servlet. If you can make it look
like your JSP resources are on "the disk" (using the technique
outlined above), you can have the JSP servlet do all the dirty work
for you.

Good luck,
- -chris

Hi,

I'm very new to tomcat7 environment, we are migrating from oc4j to tomcat7.
We have an issue with EL in jsp pages throwing error
"The method proprietaryEvaluate(String, Class, PageContext, null, boolean)
is undefined for the type PageContextImpl."

Tried setting the system property
-Dorg.apache.el.parser.SKIP_IDENTIFIER_CHECK=true in catalina.properties
file. Didn't resolve the issue. Page works fine after taking out EL
expressions.

What are we missing?. Really appreciate your help.

Environment: Tomcat 7.0.37, jdk1.6.

Thanks
Praveen